Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Learning Log #2: Experiences with the Seven Stages

I was intrigued of the idea of acting out the seven stage of action since reading about them. Norman says that many tasks become, “opportunistic rather than planned (Norman, pg 48)”. They can be planned though. Let’s take for instance my day yesterday:

I was in Electronic Media II class and we need to finish project 1.

The First Step is to form a goal: My goal was exactly what is stated that needed to be done.

The Second Step is forming the intention: I needed to get on the computer to complete this task.

The Third Step is specifying an action: I needed to read instructions and follow them to complete the goal on the computer.

The Fourth Step is executing the action: I followed the directions to complete the project in step-by-step form and finished the project

The Fifth Step is perceiving the state of the world: This is when I realized I finished the completed task.

The Sixth Step is interpreting the state of the world: I came to the conclusion that I can move onto project 2.

The Seventh Step is evaluation the outcome: I completed the goal that I started with.

This was an example of a planned situation.

This is an example of an unplanned situation:

Forming a goal: Go to the Phillies baseball game or not to go?

Forming the intention: I think about all the homework I have to do to be able to go to the game. I have a lot, but realize that I don’t get too many opportunities to go to games for free.

Specifying an action: I could stay home and do homework or enjoy a night out at the baseball game.

Executing the action: I decide to go to the game.

Perceiving the state of the world: I realize this probably could be a problem in finishing my homework, but I’m going to go anyway because I don’t get too many chances like this and I need a break from school anyway.

Interpreting the state of the world: I am going to go to the game and I am going to have fun

Evaluation of the game: I decide to go and I did have fun. I also got free food, so I received more than I thought. It was a great night and I ended up finishing most of my work that night.

The seven stages pertain to almost anything. These two examples follow the stages in a similar way, but are completely different. It made me break down the choices in doing things and look at completely tasks a more particular and specified way that just doing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment