Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Learning Log #4: Water for my battery?

I stumbled upon this website as I was looking for new cell phones since I'm going to be needing a new one when I go overseas to study abroad.


It is a cell phone that is battery powered by water. I found this extremely interesting. I keep finding more products becoming environmentally friendly. I also did not know how a cell phone could be powered by water. It says that when you turn the phone on, the reaction between water and metal, creates hydrogen gas. It is then channeled through a fuel cell and reacts with oxygen in the air and then generates power. This battery lasts up to 10 hours and you would have to change the cartridge of water about every five days it says.

I thought this was a very interesting concept. I'm not so sure I'm sold on the idea though. I find it a little odd because I have always had a cell phone that can go near water or else it could break or be malfunctioned. I also know that electricity and water aren't very safe together, so why would they want to make it a battery? I understand the fact that they want to make the cell phone device environmentally friendly. I don't think people will like the fact that you have to change the cartridge of water every five days. I know it's only water, but what if you forget? When it's already so easy for people to just plug in their phone. I guess it would be easier if you were near a faucet. I think this would be hard for people to understand too, because we are so used to plugging in our phone and have electricity power it, not water.

No comments:

Post a Comment